Archaeological Museum of CorfuIn Corfu Archaeological Museum houses finds from all over the island, but mainly from the archaeological site of Paleopolis, Cassiopeia and ancient cemeteries excavated. The rich ancient history of Corfu, starting from the Homeric era, has given great works of art and exhibits in this museum. The pediment of the temple of Artemis Gorgo is the most impressive exhibit of the Archaeological Museum of Corfu, while the so-called "Lion of Menekratis" also wins the admiration of visitors. One can see an interesting collection, showing the immense archaeological heritage of Corfu.
Palaiopolis Museum is housed in the palace of Mon Repos, in the heart of the green namesake property. It includes exhibition of archaeological objects from excavations of Paleopolis, but combined with the perception that had the ancient world in the 19th century when the villa was created and began the excavations came to light findings. It finds from the ancient city of Corfu and extensive gardens hosting two Doric temples.
It was the church of the 15th century and converted into a museum with rare and special works of Byzantine art. The Alexander S. Onassis Public Museum in Corfu is the namesake church in the Old City. Inaugurated in 1984 and today includes collection of Byzantine icons and relics. The nave itself has turned into a museum: all functional objects placed in their original position, while the splints were used as the main showroom of the Byzantine Museum Antivouniotissa.
The Asian Art Museum is the most distinctive of the museums of Corfu is housed in the Palace of St. Michael and St. George. It is one that makes Corfu separate, Asian Art Museum, devoted exclusively to the Far East and India, there is elsewhere in Greece! The Museum of Asian Art of Corfu is housed in the building of the Palace of Saints Michael and George, one of the impressive Old Town, in the Esplanade. The reason for its creation in 1928 was the donation of sinoiaponikis collection of Gregorios Manos. Today this unique museum includes collections of some 15,000 objects Asian art and rare works are often presented in international exhibitions, such as porcelain from China and Japan, paintings and sculptures etc. .
Located in the Palace of St. Michael and St. George, has a large and beautiful collection painters Corfu artworks. The permanent collections of the Municipal Gallery created by markets Municipality of Corfu and donations of art lovers or artists themselves, including collections of George Samartzi, Aglaia Pappas Philip Makotsis, the family of printmaking collections Jason Depounti of Aryan Komianou Mr. .a. The largest part of the collection of the Municipal Gallery Corfu Corfu includes works of painters of the 19th century, such as Charalampos Pachis, Paul Prosalentis the youngest, Angel Giallinas, Vincent Bokatsiampis.
Located in Saint Spyridon Square provides a complete collection of Greek banknotes from independence until the adoption of the euro in 2002. The Banknote Museum of Corfu is housed in one of the most historic buildings in the Old Town, the building of the Ionian Bank, which was the first Greek bank, in 1839, when the Ionian Islands were under British supervision. In 1981 he housed the Museum of Banknotes which is now considered one of the best in the world of its kind. The first banknotes in 1839, and the last of the Ionian Bank in 1920, Turkish piastres, notes the Italian and German occupation, and the first notes of the National Bank of Greece (1840) are among the exhibits can admire the Guests in the wooden showcases the Museum of Banknotes.
The Serbian Museum of Corfu recounts a relatively unknown aspect of Kerkyra, Greek and world history. During the First World War, 1915 - 1916, immediately after the crushing collapse of the Serbian front of the powerful Austrian-German army by about 150,000 Serbian soldiers and their government, they took refuge in Corfu. The history of these people, along with the horrors of war, housed today in the Serbian Museum. He holds particularly exhibits about the tragic fate of the Serbian army during the First World War.
Constructed in 1590 and the roof is decorated with Renaissance frescoes. The bell tower is the highest in the city. Saint Spyridon is the patron saint of the island are the remains of the church.
The Old Fort was built by the Venetians to protect the city from invasions. Today two bastions with names of the Italian engineers Martinengo and Savorgan, and later British buildings such as the Church of St. George, built in 1840, a large basilica in style of an ancient Doric temple. The New Fortress is located on the northwestern edge of the city built in the late 16th century by the Venetians, the hill of St. Mark to better protect the ever-growing city of Corfu and its environs.
The old town is characterized by its strong Venetian element but also many English and French influences. It is a maze of narrow cobbled streets and old mansions, beautiful old houses and architectural monuments, churches and unique atmosphere. The Old Town of Corfu is one of the attractions that visitors do not get enough! The Forts, Palace, Spianada, Liston, the church of St. Spyridon, the Cathedral of Corfu, are just some of the attractions in the Old Town, declared a UNESCO World Heritage site since 2007.
It is an impressive building complex is built in the period of French domination, in imitation of the Parisian Rue de Rivoli. According to tradition, only those who had been registered in the list of nobles had the right to walk here. Today they are housed several restaurants and cafes in the large arched arcades with the marvelous arches or rides like say Corfu, on the west side of the square Esplanade, an attraction for residents and visitors.
It is a green rock, which is located at the entrance of the lagoon of Halikiopoulou opposite Corfu airport "Ioannis Kapodistrias". This rock is one of the most popular tourist attractions of Corfu. The rock is a natural museum and prohibited any visit so as not damaged by being walked visitors. During the reign of Otto, the Mouse built monastery church dedicated to the Transfiguration, which is celebrated on August 6, the day of celebration. Only this day permitted to visit the island on a pilgrimage, different on other days is permitted only briefly visit and the immediate departure from the rock and only at certain points, under the supervision of guards responsible.
The Cathedral was built in 1577, the relics of one of the headless body of Saint Theodora transferred to there after the fall of Constantinople, together with the relics of Saint Spyridon, the patron saint of the island. It is one of the most beautiful churches of the Old Town, which is hidden in the maze of Corfiot Kaduna is presented only to those who know how to look! The marble staircase in front of the entrance and the purple color of the facade of the Cathedral of Corfu will earn your impression just to come in view, in the area near the New Fortress and the city's port.